Question of the Day #5

PizzaMorris

Forum Expert
ELITE
PizzaMorris
PizzaMorris
ELITE
Ratings
A murderer you're investigating just exposed himself, you see a loophole in his info that proves him guilty. In that info you learn his father was abusive and killed his mother in front of him, creating motive for his murderous ways. Do you feel empathy for the murderer or disgust?

PizzaEaston

ELITE
PizzaEaston
PizzaEaston
ELITE
Ratings
I feel disgusted, because he's taking after of what his father did. It was HIS choice to make another murder occur, because he was taking after his father. He thought that was the right thing to do because his father had done it.

PizzaMorris

Forum Expert
ELITE
PizzaMorris
PizzaMorris
ELITE
Ratings
I feel disgusted, because he's taking after of what his father did. It was HIS choice to make another murder occur, because he was taking after his father. He thought that was the right thing to do because his father had done it.
Makes a lot of sense actually, the part about taking after his dad though would actually make me think differently.

pestolicious

Forum Expert
ELITE
pestolicious
pestolicious
ELITE
Ratings
410 14
I know this is a bit late but I feel absolute disgust for the murderer. Its probably 95% disgust and 5% empathy since it wouldve been hard to see that, but that is no excuse to take another life, especially seeing the damage it can do to the families of the victims since he experienced it himself

Hallowqueen

Mod
Hallowqueen
Hallowqueen
Mod
Ratings
2,308 78
If the only info they had given was that his father was abusive - it potentially could be a motive if the person who he had allegedly murdered was his father, or someone he knew did something similar in a way to get revenge for his mother.

However! While it is a traumatic event and likely could (and would) have emotionally and mentally scarred them, it’s also possible that they could be extremely sensitive to violence because of it - making them the opposite of a suspect, as they physically wouldn’t be able to cope with the sight again because it would bring back all those memories.

Unless they directly confessed to the murder, or let something slip that connects them to the crime scene or the situation - it’s also equally possible that they’re innocent, but that the event does just bring back the memories from his childhood trauma.

Just another perspective from someone who is way too obsessed with True Crime documentaries! Hahaha :p - Also moving this thread to “Off-Topic Discussion”

Meugle

MVP+
Meugle
Meugle
MVP+
Ratings
24 5
If the only info they had given was that his father was abusive - it potentially could be a motive if the person who he had allegedly murdered was his father, or someone he knew did something similar in a way to get revenge for his mother.

However! While it is a traumatic event and likely could (and would) have emotionally and mentally scarred them, it’s also possible that they could be extremely sensitive to violence because of it - making them the opposite of a suspect, as they physically wouldn’t be able to cope with the sight again because it would bring back all those memories.

Unless they directly confessed to the murder, or let something slip that connects them to the crime scene or the situation - it’s also equally possible that they’re innocent, but that the event does just bring back the memories from his childhood trauma.

Just another perspective from someone who is way too obsessed with True Crime documentaries! Hahaha :p - Also moving this thread to “Off-Topic Discussion”
you sound like you've murdered before

PizzaMorris

Forum Expert
ELITE
PizzaMorris
PizzaMorris
ELITE
Ratings
I know this is a bit late but I feel absolute disgust for the murderer. Its probably 95% disgust and 5% empathy since it wouldve been hard to see that, but that is no excuse to take another life, especially seeing the damage it can do to the families of the victims since he experienced it himself
I see what you mean! Good explanation too! :D

PizzaMorris

Forum Expert
ELITE
PizzaMorris
PizzaMorris
ELITE
Ratings

OMG, you covered pretty much every possibility xD Thanks for the thorough answer!

Tas

ELITE
ManaLabs
ManaLabs
ELITE
Ratings
1,315 43
An abusive father is not immediately a motive for murder. I would have situational bias because he was being tried, and would feel some disgust that he's even a suspect, but I would generally feel empathetic that he had to experience something so traumatic as a child. The only actual truth we know here is that his father was abusive, and the only thing we can confirm from this knowledge alone is that he's very likely to suffer from trauma, depression, or other emotional distress.

Sonic_Raptor

Forum God
ELITE
Sonic_Raptor
Sonic_Raptor
ELITE
Ratings
1,787 69
Always be better I would still be disgusted but I would understand. Past pain is hurtful but the option and ability to self-improve are always there and everyone no matter the circumstances should strive. Murder is awful. I would be less disgusted if they had murdered their father though.

PizzaMorris

Forum Expert
ELITE
PizzaMorris
PizzaMorris
ELITE
Ratings
An abusive father is not immediately a motive for murder. I would have situational bias because he was being tried, and would feel some disgust that he's even a suspect, but I would generally feel empathetic that he had to experience something so traumatic as a child. The only actual truth we know here is that his father was abusive, and the only thing we can confirm from this knowledge alone is that he's very likely to suffer from trauma, depression, or other emotional distress.
This I can exactly agree with, I feel empathy for what he's been through, but that doesn't excuse anything from the crime at hand.

PizzaMorris

Forum Expert
ELITE
PizzaMorris
PizzaMorris
ELITE
Ratings
Always be better I would still be disgusted but I would understand. Past pain is hurtful but the option and ability to self-improve are always there and everyone no matter the circumstances should strive. Murder is awful. I would be less disgusted if they had murdered their father though.
I like how you raised up the option of a different murder! There would be a lot more controversy throughout the question if that was the case ^-^